Friday 5 December 2014

IndieView with reviewer N.M Sotzek

About Reviewing

How did you get started?
When I began writing professionally (or at least on track to be at the time) I joined a writer’s website where we were encouraged to critique and review each other’s work. After my first book was published I wanted to help other authors so I became a reviewer for Reader’s Favorite. I joined those reviews up with a blog I had wanted to start for a while, and that’s where I am now.

How do you review a book? Is it a read first, and then make notes, or do you make notes as you go along?
I used to take notes, more when I made critiques rather than reviews. Now I review strictly as a reader, but I try to keep a professional eye open. It’s said that doctors make the worst patients, and sometimes it can be the same for authors which is why I try to remind myself to be a reader. I keep in mind that what I find to be not-so pleasant others may enjoy.

What are you looking for?
Above all I look for a good story. Other things vary by genre. In historical fiction I look for historical accuracy, and I’ll admit that I am quite particular about that. I also look for a unique concept and storyline. There’s nothing worse than reading the same story with the same characters over and over. I also look for professionalism. If you want me to give a professional review, give me a professional novel to read. In the self-publishing business, we need to be as professional as possible.

If a book has a great plot, great characters, but the grammar is less than perfect, how do you deal with that?
I cringe, but usually look past it. If the plot takes me in far enough to forget about the grammar then I consider it a good (albeit somewhat flawed) novel.

How long does it take you to get through, say, an eighty thousand-word book?
It generally takes me from a day to two weeks depending on how much I enjoy the book.

How did you come up with your rating system, and could you explain more about the rating system?
Personally, my rating system is based on what has already been published. I want something unique, so if I get a novel about angsty vampires it likely won’t get a high rating. When giving a “star” review, I actually look at the rating system on Goodreads and keep that in mind.

What advice could you give to authors looking to get their books reviewed?
See the answer to this and more questions by going to the original post.

No comments:

Post a Comment