Monday 10 August 2015

Book Review: The Set Apart Woman by Leslie Ludy

The Set-Apart Woman: God's Invitation to Sacred Living

Leslie Ludy's book is one of few that has moved me. She is bluntly honest, which is a rare feature in Christian non-fiction/lifestyle books currently and much appreciated. Her chapters are well-written with relevant anecdotes which show her to be a regular woman, although set-apart. She has had struggles, and doubts, and admits to be continuing her journey past them. Her honesty is humbling and allows the reader to connect not only with her, but with a reachable relationship with God. Too many times have I heard Christian women say it's not reasonable to expect a high level of set-apartness, but Ludy makes it clear that it is.

I will admit that at times I found myself disagreeing with certain points. But after contemplation, and prayer, I realized my disagreement was based on the points challenging my faith. That is never a bad thing. Since accepting the challenge, I have already begun to change my habits. I fear not every woman will rise to the occasion, but I know the Holy Spirit will move them to do so at the right time.

The group discussion questions at the end of each chapter were wonderful as well. While I would have liked the scriptural references to be slightly longer than a mere verse (as context can be lost in such situations) it spurred me to read more than what was recommended.

Overall, 'The Set-Apart Woman' is a wonderful novel for women of all ages and in all stages of their relationship with Christ. It is a reminder of our calling, Who has called us, and that we have been given everything we need to truly be set-apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment