Friday 4 September 2015

Book Review: Slippers in the Oven by Roberta Aarons

Slippers in the Oven



I'm not quite sure how to describe this novel. The writing is fair, nothing wonderful. It's normal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. As I read it, it was as though I was overhearing someone's conversation. To that end, it felt real, unpretentious. I perhaps would have liked to have read something a bit more compelling or challenging, mentally and emotionally. But that was my flavour of the day. This book was a nice fluff read.

I ended up not quite caring about either sister. Sure, both were hurt by the other and their ex husband, but I didn't really feel for either. Perhaps it was because we weren't exposed to either sister's true feelings, pain, or intentions. With Emma stealing her sister's husband, all she can give as a reason was that she wanted what Ann had and that Henry was bored. If Emma had wanted a marriage and family, she could have tried finding someone else. And Henry being bored? Seriously, that's the first excuse men make. Ann was too much of a push-over to find appealing. Even with her bit of independence and strength at the end, it was a too little too late.

But for some reason, I don't dislike this novel. It made me want to see if they would just blow up at each other, get everything out in the open and then decide if they want to mend fences. I never truly saw that. And the end was quite disappointing. None of that stopped me from reading on, so something in there must have caught my attention.

Overall, this is a great fluff read. It will probably appeal to an older crowd, but still a nice and easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment