Friday 11 December 2015

Book review: Savagery and Saviors by Ken Hollern

Savagery and Saviors

It's been a while since I've read a book I could get lost in, and Savagery and Saviors did it for me. It completely sucked me in, and nearly made me late to work more than once. This story really hit home for me, especially in light of everything that's going on in the world. It reminded me of the genocide in Rwanda. It reminded me of the human trafficking that happens in our own backyard. Hollern didn't romanticize a single thing. It was dirty, inhumane, disgusting...and real.

Cole was a great main character, with relateable ethical decisions, and his pain and guilt over the loss of his wife. Rochelle grew on me. I wasn't sure about her at first, and I liked her more before she met Cole (she felt a bit stronger without him) but she more than redeemed herself in the end when she...well, I don't want to spoil things. Let's just say she handles the situation.

I think I would have liked a bit more details in regards to the children, feel a bit more of their hopelessness and raw emotions. But at the same time, we got that from Cole. It still would've been nice to have it all rounded out.

What really touched me was Abou's part in the story. It just shows how we are all connected, even if it's in some small way. One encounter. That's all it takes to change a life. Hollern showed that beautifully. He described the life of the Fur tribe in Darfur well enough that I thought I was there with Abou. I felt his pain, his vengeance, and eventually the desperation to bring his people to safety. It was a great climax to the story.

This is one of the few books I've read recently that has no loose ends, and I'm utterly content with how everything happened. If you're a fan of thrillers, action novels, and political/social justice themed books, Savagery and Saviors is the first book you need to pick up.


Buy it on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment