Monday 23 October 2017

Book Review: Hidden Elements (Book II of the Devil's Bible Series) by Michael Bolan

28536215

It's been a while since I've read the first book in this series, so it was a little difficult to get back into the story and get reacquainted with the characters. (To read my review of Book 1, click here.) There was no reintroduction which I feel is a weakness, especially for a novel and series of this scale. But that's about where the weaknesses end.

Once I remembered the events of the previous book, it was easy to see why I enjoyed the first one. This was no different. The characters are well rounded and engaging, and for a novel of such an epic historical scale it didn't get bogged down with pointless plot. It's heavy on narrative at times, but done beautifully and didn't seem like a chore to get through. I think my favourite parts are when we are given off handed remarks about an invention or innovation, like it doesn't mean much to the characters but we're sitting in the future thinking "oh, that's this thing!" Maybe that's just me, though.

From book one to this, I'm glad the characters still have somewhere to grow, and do they ever grow. Isabella was my favourite character in the last book, and that hasn't changed. Perhaps this is Isabella's book in regards to growth. Or rather, it's where the rest of the cast realize her true strength, and she is the one with the last word of the novel.

Overall once again this is a beautiful novel, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.


Buy the book by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment